The first day of school for the 2018-2019 school year is quickly approaching. Our entire school community is very humbled yet excited about this year’s possibilities. We would like to take a moment to thank you for your cooperation and diligence in meeting the necessary deadlines for enrollment. If there is something listed that needs to be completed, please do so as soon as possible. As a reminder please pay close attention to the items listed below and follow the dates accordingly.
STATUS OF YOUR CHILD’S ENROLLMENT FILE
The status of your child’s file has been sent via mail Monday, August 6, 2018. If you are missing any of the items below, please report to the main office to provide information.
- Proof of Residency
- OSSE DC Residency Verification Form
- Enrollment Packet
- Birth Certificate
- Health Form
- Dental Form
*Health and Dental forms must be received no later than the first day of school – See Schedule for Start Dates Below
All Parents/Guardians may send the aforementioned missing documents via mail, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and/or fax (202.388.5197). Parents will also have the option of bringing all documents to the school’s main office.
*INCOMPLETE/MISSING DOCUMENTATION SUBJECTS YOUR STUDENT TO WAITLISTING*
Mandatory Meet and Greet with Q and A
RWPCS Mandatory Meet N Greet with QnA on Monday, August 13, 2018 6pm-7pm! Dr. Clark and Staff look forward to seeing you!
BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT
Our Back to School Night will take place on Thursday, September 13th, 2018 at 6pm. This is a mandatory event for all new and returning students to Richard Wright Public Charter School. Dr. Marco Clark our CEO/Head of School, will address both parents and students, as well as introduce his administration and highly qualified faculty/staff. There will also be a tour of the school, a meet and greet with the Richard Wright Public Charter School staff as well as mingle with other families. Student schedules and the Richard Wright Public Charter School Parent/Student Handbook will be provided.
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
RWPCS’s first week of school will be on a modified schedule as follows:
- Monday, August 20, 2018 8th Grade Students ONLY – Early Dismissal 8:05am-12:30pm
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9th and 10th Grade Students ONLY- Early Dismissal 8:05am-12:30pm
- Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11th and 12th Grade Students ONLY-Early Dismissal 8:05am12:30p
- Thursday, August 23, 2018 All Grades Report – Regular Dismissal 8:05am-4:30pm
- Friday, August 24, 2018 All Grades Report – Regular Friday Dismissal 8:05am-12:30pm
The school day begins at 8:05am. Students will receive breakfast during our Family Matters Session which will begin promptly at 8:05am. Students may arrive no earlier than 7:45am. Staff will be on post outside during the morning arrival and near major intersections ensuring students’ safe arrival to school. Students will be considered late at 8:06am. Detailed information on the school day and attendance policy will be offered in the “Richard Wright Public Charter School Parent/Student Handbook”. Supply list is below.
LATE ARRIVAL TO SCHOOL
Parents must contact the Attendance Monitor, Ms. Leia Harris, via call to the dedicated “Attendance Line” at 202.388.1011 ext 200 no later than 7:30 am to inform the school of your child’s late arrival. Calls to administrators, teachers, as well as the main office will not be accepted. Students who are late to school (i.e., not in the school 8:20 am) must be accompanied by a parent or have legal documentation stating their reason for being late. Phone calls to the school about arrivals after 8:20 am will not be accepted.
RICHARD WRIGHT PUBLIC CHARTER SCHOOL-(UNIFORM INFORMATION)
We emphatically express our thanks to you for purchasing the school uniform. We are proud in knowing that Richard Wright Public Charter School students dress distinctively and uniquely professional. You may only purchase major uniform components at Flynn O’Hara. Uniform orders may be placed online at www.FlynnOhara.com, or at their store at Lanham Crossing Shopping Center – 8807 Annapolis Road, Lanham, MD 20706; Phone: (240) 764-4545.
All Richard Wright students must wear uniforms to school daily. All new students to Richard Wright will receive a uniform voucher. Parents of new students may pick up their child’s voucher from Ms. Sheler, Admissions Coordinator, if you have not already. Detailed information on the school uniform policy will be offered in the “Richard Wright Parent/Student Handbook” and may be found on the RWPCS Website.
The official uniform for Richard Wright students shall be followed by all students explicitly:
All students must wear white short or long-sleeved style shirts with the Richard Wright logo. Shirts must be tucked into the pants/skirts at all times in the building. Only RWPCS blazers, vests, sweaters are permitted over the uniform shirt. We highly suggest purchasing the RWPCS logo sweater vest for cooler weather as your child may wear that over top of a NON-logo white oxford.
- Solid Black Slacks/Pants; no denim, no baggy, no carpenter style with pockets down legs
- Richard Wright logo shirt or long-sleeved Oxford Shirts Flynn O’Hara Only
- Richard Wright logo shirts for the LOWER SCHOOL (8th & 9th) – Purchased at Richard Wright Only (10AM-2PM DAILY)
- Ties purchased at Richard Wright Only
- Richard Wright Logo Blazers Grades 10-12 (Mandatory Requirement)
- Black Belts (Mandatory Requirement)
- Richard Wright Logo Sweater – optional
- Solid Black Slacks/Pants; no denim, no tight, no carpenter style with pockets down legs
- Uniform School Skirt from Flynn O’Hara Only
- Richard Wright logo shirt or long-sleeved Oxford Shirts Flynn O’Hara Only
- Richard Wright logo shirts for the LOWER SCHOOL (8th & 9th) – Purchased at Richard Wright Only
- RWPCS Logo Blazer – optional
- RWPCS Sweater – optional
All pants must be appropriately sized to eliminate any bagging or sagging. Pants must be worn at the natural waistline. We ask that students only wear black belts with uniform pants.
Student may wear the shoe of their choice in loafer, lace up, or tennis shoe. However, shoes must be predominately black. Young ladies may NOT wear shoes over one inch in height. No open-toed sandals or shoes not covering the foot from heel to toe may be worn by any student. Lace up shoes may not be worn unlaced.
KIDS RIDE FREE PROGRAM
Beginning October 1, 2018, students will no longer be able to use their DC One Cards to access public transportation. Students who use Metrorail, Metrobus, or the DC Circulator to get to and from school and school-related activities will need to obtain a new Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card. Please see the insert BELOW for KIDS RIDE FREE Distribution Events.
Again, we thank you for entrusting Richard Wright Public Charter School for Journalism and Media Arts to educate your child! We are confident that this school year will be epic. Our staff remains ready to assist you and your child.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us for any assistance at 202.388.1011 and you will be connected with the proper staff member.
Dr. Marco Clark, Ed.D., Founder, CEO and Head of School
SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST 18-19
- 2 pencils
- Mechanical pencils
- Colored pencils
- Pencil sharpener (manual with a top to collect shavings)
- Large pink eraser
- Ballpoint pens (Get a couple with red, green, or purple ink, too, because some teachers have students do peer editing.)
- Spiral-bound or composition notebooks
- Loose-leaf notebook paper (Teachers can be picky about paper — most ask that students use the college-ruled variety.)
- Ruler with English and metric measurements
- Binder dividers (The kinds with pockets are good for loose papers.)
- Pocket folders
- Folders that fit in binders
- Calendar or planner for scheduling or recording assignments
- A sturdy, supportive backpack
- Index cards, ruled or unruled (These are great for making flash cards.)
- Calculator (wait for Math Teacher to inform which kind)
- Flashdrive for saving work
- Locker organizer (and other accessories)
- Posterboard for visual aid presentations